Saturday, January 31, 2015

The Happiness Project: Toss, Restore, Organize

TOSS, RESTORE, ORGANIZE.
They all needed to be placed in their proper homes. Or tossed or given away.
As I contemplated the magnitude of the job before me, I invoked my Tenth Commandment: “Do what ought to be done.” First was nostalgic clutter, made up of relics I clung to from my earlier life. Second was self-righteous conservation clutter, made up of things that I’ve kept because they’re useful—even though they’re useless to me. One kind of clutter I saw in other people’s homes but didn’t suffer from myself was bargain clutter, which results from buying unnecessary things because they’re on sale. I did suffer from related freebie clutter—the clutter of gifts, hand-me-downs, and giveaways that we didn’t use. I also had a problem with crutch clutter. These things I used but knew I shouldn’t. I felt particularly oppressed by aspirational clutter—things that I owned but only aspired to use. The flip side of aspirational clutter is outgrown clutter. I discovered a big pile of plastic photo boxes piled in a drawer. I used them for years, but even though I like proper picture frames now, I’d held on to the plastic versions. The kind of clutter that I found most disagreeable was buyer’s remorse clutter, when, rather than admit that I’d made a bad purchase, I hung on to things until somehow I felt they’d been “used up” by sitting in a closet or on a shelf.
 
Closet: First, I got rid of items that no one should be wearing anymore. Next I pulled out the items that, realistically, I knew I wouldn’t wear. Those are for donation or garage sale. I emptied each drawer completely, and I put back only the items that I actually wore.
 
I also hit on a few daily rules to help keep the apartment from constantly falling into disorder. First, following my Fourth Commandment, “Do it now,” I started to apply the “one-minute rule” I didn’t postpone any task that could be done in less than one minute. Along with the “one-minute rule,” I observed the “evening tidy-up” by taking ten minutes before bed to do simple tidying. Tidying up at night made our mornings more serene and pleasant and, in an added benefit, helped prepare me for sleep. Putting things in order is very calming.

What I do:
I don't buy unnecessary things that are on sale.

I give away things that I really don't use and clothes that I bought that don't fit me well.

I left all my clothes at my mom's house. I only brought with me my dresses because I don't have enough storage for my clothes.
I do my weekly general cleaning.

My plans:
Buy storage boxes.
Closet sale every quarter or at least twice this year. Clothes that aren't bought should be given to a charity.
 
I like this very much!
 
via

 
Any ideas? Feel free to share.
 


3 comments:

  1. Like ko rin yan, Em! Ang sarap mag organize lalo na diba lilipat kayo ng bahay? mas masaya ayusin kasi empty pa yung place at mas mapi- picture mo kung saan mo gusto ilagay yung mga stuff. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct. Kelangan lang ng tiyaga at budget para makabili ng mga storage boxes, etc. Thanks for dropping by! :)

      Delete
  2. Gusto ko yang one minute rule nya at evening tidying up. Malaking bagay! :)

    ReplyDelete