Saturday, January 31, 2015

The Happiness Project: Act More Energetic

ACT MORE ENERGETIC.
To feel more energetic, I applied one of my Twelve Commandments: “Act the way I want to feel.” This commandment sums up one of the most helpful insights that I’d learned in my happiness research: although we presume that we act because of the way we feel, in fact we often feel because of the way we act. Although a “fake it till you feel it” strategy sounded hokey, I found it extremely effective. When I felt draggy, I started to act with more energy. I sped up my walk. I paced while talking on the phone. I put more warmth and zest into my voice. Sometimes I feel exhausted by the prospect of spending time with my own children, but one tired afternoon, instead of trying to devise a game that involved my lying on the couch (I’ve managed to be astonishingly resourceful in coming up with ideas), I bounded into the room and said, “Hey, let’s play in the tent!” It really worked; I did manage to give myself an energy boost by acting with energy.
My plans:
Spend more time outside. Yes, I feel more energetic when I'm outside the house. When I'm at home, I tend to slouch on the couch.
 

via

 
Any ideas? Feel free to share.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment