Tuesday, October 14, 2014

The Effects Of Stress On My Body

I had a stressful week. I am currently in a stressful place with people who are continuously stressing the hell out of me.

Source

Thursday, after hearing arguments that lasted for hours, I had an upset stomach. 

I dunno, wala naman akong kinaing kakaiba. I was in pain for 2 days.

I didn't have loose bowel movement nor constipation.

Right there and then, I know I was stressed.  

Imagine, I took oral laxative pero hindi tumalab. Yung friend ko na nagbigay sakin nung gamot, after 30 minutes umeepekto na raw yun sa kanya.  Sakin 3 days na wa epek pa rin.

Sunday, I've experienced another stressful hour with "this" person.

Hearing negative things na hindi makatao. Jusko! Stressed na stressed talaga ako.

Source
After few hours, eto na. I was having allergic rhinits. Ambigat na ng ulo ako. I was sneezing and I had stuffy, runny nose. Parang lalagnatin na ako. I took Neozep and slept for hours. Pag gising ko, sobrang sama na talaga ng pakiramdam ko. 

I took Neozep and Fern-C then slept again.  My body reacts so quickly whenever I'm stressed. I know this very well.

Monday na and I have to go to work. I took Decolgen. Eto ngo-ngo apa rin ko. Hindi makahinga ng maayos at hinihingal pa.

Pagtingin ko nga sa salamin, pakiramdam ko tumangos ilong ko kakapindot. :)

I did my research and found out very informative things.

Definition General adaptation syndrome, or GAS, is a term used to describe the body's short-term and long-term reactions to stress. General adaptation syndrome involved two major systems of the body, the nervous system and the endocrine (or hormonal) system. There are three distinctive stages in the syndrome's evolution. He called these stages the alarm reaction (AR), the stage of resistance (SR), and the stage of exhaustion (SE).   

Stage 1: alarm reaction (ar)
The first stage of the general adaptation stage, the alarm reaction, is the immediate reaction to a stressor. In the initial phase of stress, humans exhibit a "fight or flight" response, which prepares the body for physical activity. However, this initial response can also decrease the effectiveness of the immune system, making persons more susceptible to illness during this phase.   

Stage 2: stage of resistance (sr) Stage 2 might also be named the stage of adaptation, instead of the stage of resistance. During this phase, if the stress continues, the body adapts to the stressors it is exposed to. Changes at many levels take place in order to reduce the effect of the stressor. For example, if the stressor is starvation (possibly due to anorexia), the person might experienced a reduced desire for physical activity to conserve energy, and the absorption of nutrients from food might be maximized.   

Stage 3: stage of exhaustion (se) At this stage, the stress has continued for some time. The body's resistance to the stress may gradually be reduced, or may collapse quickly. Generally, this means the immune system, and the body's ability to resist disease, may be almost totally eliminated. Patients who experience long-term stress may succumb to heart attacks or severe infection due to their reduced immunity. Because the body's energies are going to the stressor, the body is not able to fight off colds and flu during this time.

It can also be stage of recovery.
Recovery stage follows when the system's compensation mechanisms have successfully overcome the stressor effect (or have completely eliminated the factor which caused the stress). The high glucose, fat and aminoacid levels in blood prove useful for anabolic reactions, restoration of homeostasis and regeneration of cells.  

Causes and symptoms
Stress is one cause of general adaptation syndrome. The results of unrelieved stress can manifest as fatigue, irritability, difficulty concentrating, and difficulty sleeping. Persons may also experience other symptoms that are signs of stress. Persons experiencing unusual symptoms, such as hair loss, without another medical explanation might consider stress as the cause.  

Treatment
Treatment of stress-related illnesses typically involves one or more stress reduction strategies. Stress reduction strategies generally fall into one of three categories: avoiding stressors; changing one's reaction to the stressor(s); or relieving stress after the reaction to the stressor(s). Many mainstream as well as complementary or alternative (CAM) strategies for stress reduction, such as exercising, listening to music, aromatherapy, and massage relieve stress after it occurs.

Selye himself recommended an approach to stress that he described as "living wisely in accordance with natural laws." In his now-classic book The Stress of Life (1956), he discussed the following as important dimensions of living wisely:  · Adopting an attitude of gratitude toward life rather than seeking revenge for injuries or slights. 

· Acting toward others from altruistic rather than self-centered motives.
· Retaining a capacity for wonder and delight in the genuinely good and beautiful things in life.
· Finding a purpose for one's life and expressing one's individuality in fulfilling that purpose.
· Keeping a healthy sense of modesty about one's goals or achievements.

Okay. Nasa Stage of Exhaustion na ako.

Sabi, the body is not able to fight off colds and flu during this time. At ang tindi na naman ng hair loss ko kaya sure na sure ako na stressed talaga ako.

So I need to treat myself. I mean, kelangan ko gamutin sarili ko.

Avoid stressors, change my reaction to the stressors or relieve stress.

Avoid stressor? Gusto ko ng umalis kung nasaan man ako ngayon.  Change my reaction to the stressor? Eto, hindi ko alam kung paano. Relieve stress? Well, I found few ways to relieve stress.

Massage
Meditation
Exercise
Healthy food
Vitamin B
Aromatherapy
Sleep

But I know, I just need to pray.


Lord, I'm just having some trouble managing this stressful time in my life. The stress is just getting to be too much for me, and I need your strength to get me through. I know you are a pillar for me to lean on in tough times, and I pray that you will continue to provide me with ways to make my life a little less burdensome. Lord, I pray that you provide me your hand and walk me through the dark times. I ask that you reduce the burdens in my life or show me the path to get things done or rid myself of the things weighing me down. Thank you, Lord, for all you do in my life and how you will provide for me, even in these stressful times.  

Here are few verses that inspire me.







I know it won't be a stress-free week but I ask God to give me more comfort, rest and patience to get through this week.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Em! Dedmahin mo na lang sila (people) or anuman (things) na nakakapagpa-stress sayo. Mahirap nga lang talaga hndi magpaeekto. Hehe. Pero you can do it. We can do it. And yes, prayers are very important. Let's just be reminded everyday that our God is bigger than our problems or complaints. :)

    P.S. Very informative tong post mo abotu stress, dami ko natutunan may stages pa pala yun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. maggie.danhakl@healthline.comOctober 28, 2014 at 4:55 PM

    Hi Em,

    I hope all is well with you. Healthline just published an infographic detailing the effects of stresson the body. This is an interactive chart allowing the reader to pick the side effect they want to learn more about.

    You can see the overview of the report here: http://www.healthline.com/health/stress/effects-on-body

    Our users have found our guide very useful and I thought it would be a great resource for your page: http://emalejandrino.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-effects-of-stress-on-my-body.html

    I would appreciate it if you could review our request and consider adding this visual representation of the effects of stress to your site or sharing it on your social media feeds.

    Please let me know if you have any questions.

    All the best,
    Maggie Danhakl • Assistant Marketing Manager

    Healthline • The Power of Intelligent Health
    660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
    www.healthline.com | @Healthline | @HealthlineCorp

    About Us: corp.healthline.com

    ReplyDelete