Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Word for the Year (2014): PUSH

Pick just one word to inspire you all year. 


If you’re like most people, each January goes something like this: You choose a problematic behavior that has plagued you for years and vow to reverse it. In fact, you can probably think of two or three undesirable habits—make that four or five. It is commonly known as “New Year’s Resolutions.” All of which are typically off your radar by February.

The challenge is simple: lose the long list of changes I want to make this year and instead pick ONE WORD.

This process provides clarity by taking all my big plans for life change and narrowing them down into a single focus. Just one word that centers on my character and creates a vision for my future.

This year, I'm choosing the word "PUSH" for my one word.

push
verb
: to use force to move (someone or something) forward or away from you
: to go forward while using your hands, arms etc., to forcefully move people or things that are blocking you
: to force or try to force or persuade (someone) to do something

push
noun
: an act of pushing something or someone
: a large, organized military attack
: a strong, continuous effort to get or achieve something

My word "PUSH" is based on the following verses from the Bible:

Philippians 3:13-14
Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.


Philippians 4:13
I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

 

It is also a known acronym in the Christian community. It is very inspiring.


Why “Push?” Because I want 2014 to be the year that I push beyond all the boundaries I’ve set up in my mind, body and spirit. I’m praying that God will help me push my self-discipline to the next level; my marriage and parenting to the next level; my ministry opportunities to the next level; my physical capacity to the next level (thus reducing my need for massive amounts of caffeine ); and, above all, my faith to the next level.

I don’t know what the coming months will hold. Perseverance has never been my strong suit. But this year I plan to push, when my bones resist and my spirit quavers. When the rock won’t roll, when the mountain won’t move, when the seeds won’t grow. Push with heavy arms and empty hands, half-crazed mind and half-full heart.

Here’s to 2014, a year to push. Like a mustard seedling anointed with rainwater, like a bent reed straightening toward the sun as the wind dies down.

2 comments: